.

Friday, June 09, 2006

How I Amuse Myself When I Have Nothing Better To Do

I had an appointment this morning, and had to wait a while for it, so whilst sitting there I was wondering what I could put on here this morning. I really want to get my World Cup review things right (you'll find that they'll get more anecdotal as time goes on), and I haven't really got time for that today, so I needed something else. So... I'm going to offer my predictions (a bit later), but I thought I'd share a brief time-killing game I thought up for myself to pass a brief few minutes. It's pretty simple. List all 32 World Cup finals entrants, and sum them up in two words. I might forward this to the Foreign Office, should they need a quick and easy test to filter virulent xenophobes out of their recruitment process. Anyway, here's what I came up with:

Germany: Ruthlessly efficient
Poland: Zbignieuw Boniek
Costa Rica: Coffee plantations
Ecuador: Nice flag
England: Not AGAIN
Sweden: Ljungberg's hair
Paraguay: Lunatic goalkeeper
Trinidad & Tobago: Jamaica Lite
Argentina: Serial cheats
Holland: Always in-fighting
Ivory Coast: Dark horses
Serbia & Montenegro: Unwieldly name
Mexico: Sombrero hats
Angola: In Africa?
Iran: Internationally isolated
Portugal: Long hair
Italy: Hate penalties
Ghana: Military government
USA: Hate "soccer"
Czech Republic: Possibly robots
Brazil: Samba football
Croatia: Checked shirts
Australia: Football kangaroos
Japan: Tiny. Tiny.
France: Racial tension
Switzerland: Cuckoo clocks
Togo: TOGO! TOGO!
South Korea: One off
Spain: Constant failure
Ukraine: Orange revolution
Tunisia: Tunis cakes
Saudi Arabia: Oil money

I think it says more about me than it does about any of the competing countries. Sadly.

4 comments:

fifa2006 said...

I’m very exciting for today, If Rooney is fully recovered, of course he should play in the group stages.what do you think? How about tomorrow?
Anyway,Thank you for your site about world cup site and By the way,I’d like to exchange message with you,and nice weekend

Nickname of team
Angola: Palancas Negras (Black Antelopes)
Argentina: Albicelestes (White-Sky Blues)
Australia: Socceroos
Brazil: Seleçao Canarinho (Canary Selection)
Costa Rica: Ticos (from the local linguistic habit of creating diminutives by adding “tico” instead of “tito” to the end of words)
Croatia: Vatreni (the Fiery Ones)
Czech Republic: Lokomotiva (the Locomotive, rarely used)
Ecuador: La Tri (Tricolors)
England: Three Lions (rarely used)
France: Les Bleus (Blues)
Germany: Die Nationalmannschaft (National Team)
Ghana: Blacks Stars
Iran: Team Melli (National Team)
Italy: Azzurri (Blues)
Ivory Coast: Les Eléphants (Elephants)
Japan: Blues
Mexico: El Tri (Tricolors)
Netherlands: Oranje (the Orange)
Paraguay: La Albirroja (White-Red)
Poland: Bialo-Czerwoni (White-Reds)
Portugal: Seleçao das Quinas (Selection of the Shields)
Saudi Arabia: Al Akhdar (the Green)
Serbia and Montenegro: Plavi (Blues)
South Korea: Reds
Spain: La Furia Roja (the Red Fury)
Sweden: Blagult (Blue-Gold)
Switzerland: Die Eidgenossen (the Oath Comrades)
Togo: Les Eperviers (Sparrow Hawks)
Trinidad and Tobago: Soca Warriors
Tunisia: Les Aigles de Carthage (Carthage Eagles)
Ukraine: Zbirna/Sbornaya (Selection, in Ukrainian and Russian)
United States: None, really, but we’ve been using Yanks and Amerks.

www.fifaworldcup-yahoo.co.uk
Dr Han (Super football fans)
PAIN IN BRISTOL-- www.backachetherapy.co.uk

twohundredpercent said...

what?

i've had some booze.

tiexano said...

I'm not sure how "The national team" counts as nickname. I guess nicknames are just not ruthless efficient enough. Then again the first two words that come in my mind concerning the english team are penalty and orbit. hehe.

Askinstoo said...

Hi, i was looking over your blog and didn't
quite find what I was looking for. I'm looking for
different ways to earn money... I did find this though...
a place where you can make some nice extra cash secret shopping. Just go to the site below
and put in your zip to see what's available in your area.
I made over $900 last month having fun!
make extra money

Design by Dzelque Blogger Templates 2007-2008