.

Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Start Lobbying Now!

Two posts in one evening! Aren't you lucky? Actually, don't answer that. Before I say anything else, I'll just take a second to mention the little music doohickey on the right of the page - click the "play" button and it will play a selection of funky choons! How exciting! Or don't. It's entirely up to you.

Meanwhile, the argument over AFC Wimbledon's missing eighteen points rumbles on. Further to perhaps surprisingly considering me to be an authority on the subject (you have to scroll down a bit, but it's there in black & white), The Guardian this week weighed in with a supportive article on the subject this week, to which, you may notice, I've already added my, ahem, considered opinion. To be honest, I've said about as much as I can say on the subject until the appeal date comes, but if anything else crops up, you'll be approximately the millionth to know.

Elsewhere, the Morden & Mitcham MP Siobhan McDonagh has put down an Early Day Motion in their support. As you can see, a handful of MPs have already backed her, and you can hassle your MP to join them by using this particularly handy site. It's probably for the best that you're not too rude when you're writing it, but it might pay to mention how close most political analysts think the next general election will be. I'll be watching like a hawk to ensure that David Lepper (Lab, Brighton Pavilion) adds his name to it. Finally, this site has been set up to chronicle the FA's numerous mistakes. It's thoroughly worth a visit.

Meanwhile, on the pitch, they went top of the Ryman League, albeit briefly (and not taking into account any stupid eighteen point deductions) with a 3-2 win against Billericay Town on Saturday at Kingsmeadow. I spent much of the match wondering whether I was having some sort of massive deja vu attack, as the match followed a similar pattern as their previous home match against Bromley - level at half-time and then coming on strongly to lead 3-1 before a late consolation gave everyone cause to start checking their watches to make sure they hadn't stopped. Due to an excess of gin during the half-time break, I missed the fracas involving Roscoe D'Sane at the start of the second half, but the video highlights (now available in a handy streaming Flash format) show a beautifully choreographed attempt to get D'Sane sent off through going down to an imaginary punch twice, and a magnificent incident in the tunnel after the sending off (the look on the player's face when he realises that the whole incident has been caught on camera is particularly priceless).

Their league lead lasted just over forty-eight hours, and their match at Leyton on Tuesday night was rained off. On their current run of form, though, they might even sneak into the play-offs even with the eighteen points lopped off. I still think that their defence looks a bit brittle, though.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Unsurprisingly, my local MP has already signed the motion,
I'm glad I actually checked the list of those who've signed up before sending him an email furiously deriding his evil tory ways, before eventually remembering what it is I was originally on about.

Anyway, it's quite a nicely worded early day motion, it doesn't sound too pompous or stupid

matsimpsk said...

My MP has signed. Good on him. And my old MP has signed too, the little cutie.

Design by Dzelque Blogger Templates 2007-2008